If you want a great summer getaway but don’t want to spend a lot of time (or money) traveling, there are lots of options right here in the Heartland.
- Door County, Wisconsin: Door County’s natural beauty, coupled with the rural charms of wineries, small dairy farms and traditional Wisconsin Friday-night fish fries, make it irresistible.
- Black Hills, South Dakota: A road trip around this part of the Midwest will reveal some pretty epic stops like Custer State Park, the Needles Highway, and historic towns like Deadwood and Keystone.
- Indiana Dunes State Park, Indiana: Here you’ll find some of the Midwest’s most prized beaches plus there are lots of hiking trails and amazing nature-inspired experiences.
- Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota: Enjoy a perfect blend of big city and nature, including many parks and lakes that create an almost small town feel.
- Isle Royal National Park, Michigan: The only way there is by boat, and you’ll probably only see a few people during your visit. What you will find way out here is a lot of peace and quiet along with great opportunities for hiking, kayaking, boating and even scuba diving.