Sometimes the secret to living a healthier life is making smarter choices – and sometimes tricking yourself into thinking you’re eating more. And the month of January is filled with all kinds of weight-loss and healthy-eating tips, but there are some simple things you can do to be healthier in 2019. Check out the five tips for a healthier New Year.
- Try using smaller plates. Studies show that using smaller plates reduces the amount of food one puts on a plate. This, in turn, reduces the amount of food consumed in one sitting and leads to eating fewer calories. Eating slowly will also help eaters feel less hungry and fuller for longer.
- Take a walk — either alone or with a dog. Not only is walking good for bonding with a pooch, it can also help burn around 300 calories per hour depending on exercisers current weight and height. Plus, it’s been proven to help improve moods.
- Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Ever noticed that all the unhealthy processed foods lurk in the middle of the grocery store? Well if shoppers walk the perimeter more often — where the fruits, vegetables, and whole foods tend to be — they’ll skip a whole lot of junk from being dumped in their cart.
- Keep healthy snacks out in the open. For visual people, having foods like apples, bananas, and nuts in plain view makes one more likely to snack on them instead of the naughty things like chips and candy.
- Drink two coffees a day. According to a recent study, drinking two or more cups of coffee daily can help reduce your risk of developing liver cirrhosis.